Tuesday 20 January 2009

Dancing on Ice

On Sunday, myself and three friends from work went along to see Dancing on Ice being filmed live in Borehamwood. Because our tickets didn't guarantee entry, the process involved queuing for hours in the freezing cold. We were about halfway in the queue with around 200 people in front of us, so we thought we'd be fine! How wrong we were... the guy handing out wristbands ran out just before he got to us, apologised and explained that there was a huge guest list, and we were now on standby. Most of the people behind us were told to go home, but as we were clutching standby tickets 11-14, we waited. And waited some more. Eventually, at 6.30pm (we'd arrived at 3.40pm) once everyone else had been seated, an announcement was made saying that the first 20 standby people were allowed through... we were VERY lucky.

Now, my friends and I were split up because the only seats available were the ones where friends and family of the celebrities participating hadn't turned up. However, this meant that we were sitting in the VIP area! So it all worked out well. I was sitting with the entire Nolan clan, my friend Janine was next to Alan Carr, Jo was next to Kevin Pieterson (who was rather handsome) and Marie was next to the hosts of Loose Women. And there were a few others we bumped into during the interval, such as Suzanne Shaw and that Angelica Bell from CBBC. Poor Angelica- I made the classic mistake of thinking I knew her when she turned around. Before I knew what was happening a 'Hi!!' had escaped my mouth and she was looking a little blankly at me before politely saying 'Hi!' back. How embarassing! I felt like a prize idiot... until my friend Jo had to step over Graeme Le Saux to get to her seat and did exactly the same thing, but louder: 'Oh, HELLO!' she exclaimed before realising what she'd done. It was very strange.

Has that ever happened to anyone else?

Anyway, we had a fantastic time (even though we were all sitting on our own!). The performances were amazing and for just one single moment I had this thought:

'I want to be a professional ice skater when I grow up.'

Then reality struck and my world came crashing down around me.

'You're 24. You're a teacher. You have no balance or co-ordination. It's too late.'

It was very similar to the time I realised that at no point in my life will I ever grow up in Dublin and have a genuine Irish accent.

Sigh.

Still, if Coleen Nolan can give it a good go, so can I... (the ice-skating, not the Irish accent!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie what time did you get to dancing on ice?!?!?! I have tickets for sunday no idea what time to get there and now I am worried ;-~

Katie said...

We got there at 3.30, there were about 200 people in front of us. We were told that there was a particularly large guest list last week though- they allocate general public places after that. I think if you get there by 3, you'll be absolutely fine... we only just missed out on wristbands ourselves! Oh, and wrap up VERY warm.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

ah thanks Katie ..sorry to be so cheeky!!! yes certainly will wrap up warm :-) Not particularly looking forward to the waiting part so hope it is worth it! :-)

Thanks
Marina xx

Anonymous said...

Whilst in the queue, can another friend take your place whilst you nip to the loo or for a drink. Can my daughter get there later and just come and join me where ever I am standing.How do they decide where your seats are?
Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

hi,
i have the same 'no guarentee'tickets for this sundays semi final. its my wifes bday so i want to make sure we get in. i dont mind standing on my own for however long, but my wife will have to join me later as she will need to look after our baby first till the babaysitter arrives. do you know what it is like re gettin my wife to join me in the queue?? o and now girls aloud are performing i m guessing it will be even busier !!

Katie Allen's Facebook profile