Sunday 9 November 2008

Drenched


So, I eventually got hold of a proper hat. Which is just as well, as yesterday was the Lord Mayor's show. And the weather forecast?

Saturday





heavy rain

Great. Still, not to be put off, the Household Troops and the Hadleigh Timbrels (guess which group I belong to...) set off at 6.30am (seriously, who DOES that?!) and made our way to London. We had an hour of waiting around in a damp, underground car park, followed by an hour of waiting in the rain, but once the parade got going it was really good! Despite the torrential downpours there was an excellent turnout and the crowd were brilliant, cheering and clapping and encouraging us on through the rain. I felt so proud to be part of it all, especially hearing people saying things like 'Oh, look! It's the Salvation Army! HOORAY!!!'

However, there's only so much freezing, heavy rain you can take before your morale starts to go slightly, and as we made our way to Embankment to recommence the march after lunch, some soldiers (of the non-Salvation Army variety) stopped a couple of us and said 'You've lost it. You've lost it, haven't you...' before proceeding with a beautiful rendition of 'You've lost that loving feeling, woooah that lovin' feelin'...'. On spotting our tambourines, this was then followed by various chants of 'GO ON, SHAKE IT! SHAKE IT BABY!' (I did threaten them with 'I'm gonna shake you in a minute', but I'm not sure they heard it, as I said it in my head.) Heather and I just ignored them and carried on with our little game 'See Who Can Hold The Most Rain In Their Hat Without Spilling Any'. I won.

Oh, by the way, if you're reading this and don't have a clue what a timbrel is, then click here. I probably should have explained that at the beginning.

Anyway, imagine how excited we were when somebody sent a text saying they saw us on television! Fantastic. Totally worth getting soaked. Then imagine the slight disappointment when I got home, eagerly put the recording on and saw this (skip to 0:47):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fh4xq

I was just off to the left. Still, we got a mention and everything- pretty cool, eh?

I'm still not a fan of the navy felt hats though. I ended up with navy dye running all down my face for the duration of the parade. Did I mention it rained?

2 comments:

Anna said...

Katie - well done for being in the parade. Unfortuately everytime I try to watch the clip it says that "it seems not to be working at the moment, please try again later".

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you've just told everyone you won the game that we didn't even finish playing...if i remember right the rain got even heavier and we ran for cover.

I feel a lot better now i've got that off my chest! x

Katie Allen's Facebook profile