Tuesday 27 November 2007

A Cookie Question...



I have a question.

It's a question that I've recently shared on Facebook, so forgive me for repeating myself.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Newcastle Station, with 5 minutes before my train was due to arrive. Then, I spotted a Millie's Cookies stand. I love Millie's Cookies. So I skip over, ask for a small selection and produce the correct money for my purchase. Then I turn to walk away.
'Hang on!' calls the Cookie Man. 'I just need to replace the till roll'.
'Don't worry about it' I say cheerfully, well aware that I have 3 minutes before the train pulled in.
'No, no, you must wait for your receipt...' insists the Cookie Man, before leaving the stall presumably in search of a new roll of paper.

Needless to say, I ran for it.

Then, yesterday, I buy a double chocolate chip cookie from Tesco. The same thing happened! I give the correct money, they insisted on making me wait for a receipt.... I don't need a receipt for a cookie. I give them money, they give me the cookie, end of transaction. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a cookie. Like to some non-believing friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that cookie, I've got the documentation right here...'

Why is that necessary?!
On a similar note, while on the subject of stupid transactions, why is it that every time I go into McDonald's and ask for a plain cheeseburger, they ask 'Would you like cheese with that?' Without fail. Go on, try it...

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Katie, wow,you are amazing, 2 posts in virtually no time! We always have to ask customers if they want a reciet with their purchases, in case they wanna return something...try and bring your cookie back next time..or even better: Im really sorry, I bought this cookie here just minutes ago...yes, I do have the reciet..yeah, and ehm, im sorry to bother you, im sure there was too much salt in the cookie...could I please have my money back...try that and ill ask for the cheesburger :-D

Anonymous said...

I work at Millie's Cookies at Victoria Station, the Millie's at train stations are run by SSP UK Rail and it's company policy at SSP to give a receipt. If you don't get a receipt you get your shit for free. If we don't give a receipt to a customer we get shit for it because it's actually illegal to sell something in a shop and not give a receipt for it.

Anna said...

Katie Katie, that was so obvious!How did you not know you would get Sh* for free if you dont get a Sh* receipt and the poor blocke would then get sh*...LOL

Katie Allen's Facebook profile