Monday 26 May 2008

The Sexist Book of Cakes... and Rich's birthday

To celebrate Rich reaching the ol' halfway to 50 landmark last week, we thought it would be nice to bake him a cake. So we had a little Eurovision/Cake Baking session on Saturday night. Browsing through Marion's Cake Decorating Book (1970) for inspiration, I soon noticed it was more than a little sexist...

Under the 'BOYS' section, there were the following cakes:

A football













A cricket bat













And a racing car...











All of these were fine. But under the 'GIRLS' section of the cake book, we found:

A sewing machine











A baby













A dressing table













And my personal favourite... an oven:











Oh, how times have changed... anyway, in the end we decided on a simple train design, complete with any small objects Ben could find in his cupboard. Here is the end result:






Yes, those ARE dinosaurs sitting amongst a forest of chocolate eggs. There's a deep and meaningful reason behind the design- if you can guess it, you win a prize... ;)

Rich was very impressed. We then had a lovely meal at Rayleigh Lodge, which is a very nice restaurant (the double chocolate fudge cake is to die for!) I'm the one blocking out Anna's head:

All in all, a lovely weekend.

7 comments:

Graeme said...

Aaaaahhhh, and there's my two little nieces in the forefront of the picture - bless them!

I'll get back to you on the whole meaning of dinosaurs and chocolate egg forests!

Mitchenstein said...

Why wasn't I invited?!

(Ok, I know you know I was in Denmark, and I generally don't do anything on Eurovision night, but still!)

Katie said...

Because I don't like you.

Anonymous said...

A cake like a baby is just wrong I'm sorry but who the heck would want that? That surely implies you're eating a baby and that's all kinds of wrong!

Mitchenstein said...

Yay, Richard still exists!

Apologies for not knowing it was your birthday Rich, but Katie didn't tell me and she's responsible for stuff like that. But I hope you had a good one!

Anna said...

Kay-T! You look like you had 2 heads (maybe thats why the guy in cinema asked if we were sisters???)Thanks for inviting me, I take it im now officially more popular than all the uninvited people???xxxx

Katie said...

Anna, you've been to the cinema, to a meal and to a Hadleigh meeting, all within two weeks... You are officially one of us now! There's no escape...

And John, it's Richard's birthday on 20th May. Put it in your diary.

Katie Allen's Facebook profile