Tuesday 3 June 2008

Half Term in a Nutshell

See if you can spot...

- Which county is featured (I went there to visit a friend who has just come out of hospital)
- A woodchipper (endless fun!)
- Ips-ich Harbour (you may remember from a previous post that I have a cousin who lives there...)
- London by night
- The lack of legroom at Dickens Unplugged! (A really, really funny show retelling Charles Dickens stories- it was even better than Dickens World!)
- Ben and Rich saluting outside IHQ- Chris took the photo before I realised I was in the wrong pose.

One picture I forgot to include was of Brass of Praise, a Swiss band who came to England to perform at Hadleigh last week (they also performed at the Royal Albert Hall as a little extra gig). They were really good! Unfortunately, they didn't have such a great experience afterwards, when we offered to take them all out for a drink (forgetting we had only two little KAs to transport 16 hungry and thirsty people into Leigh...) It was agreed that while I was playing taxi to the first few, the rest would walk to McDonalds and get picked up from there. Twenty minutes later, I pull up to find them all still outside in the cold. They all ran over and exclaimed:

Swiss People: We need your help! We need your car!
Katie: Why aren't you eating?
Swiss Person 1: We tried to get into the restaurant, but they said they were closed, and that we had to use the drive-thru window.
Swiss Person 2: So we walked to the drive-thru and they ignored us.
Swiss Person 3: (very confused) Then eventually he said that he couldn't serve us as we weren't in a car, and then closed the window.
Swiss Person 4: We said that we were from Switzerland and didn't have a car. He's still ignoring us.
Swiss Person 1: Is everybody this rude in England?

(I should point out here that it wasn't a busy High Street McDonalds. I could understand them being refused if there were loads of cars behind beeping. The McDonalds I'm talking about is just up the road from our corps, reasonably quiet and at the that time of night there were no other customers at all!)

I don't think we made a great first impression. These Swiss people and their high expectations...

6 comments:

Andy said...

Man I could use a wood chipper for those old windows I've just had removed...

Katie said...

Take them round to Matt and Chell's...

Wood chipping is GREAT.

Anonymous said...

Wow do you look silly outside IHQ - shortly before I went temporarily insane I was tired ok it'd had been a long day

And yes Dickens Unplugged is very good if not so good with the leg room

good post Katie

Andy said...

Thought it might have been Matt and Chell, we've discussed wood chipping.

Man I need to get out more...

Mitchenstein said...

You haven't quite mastered the Army salute have you Katie?

It is hard.

Anna said...

I love swiss people. (except some of them)

Katie Allen's Facebook profile