Wednesday 19 December 2007

ARGH!

This is my car:


Well, it's not actually a photo of my car (I couldn't find the cable to link the camera to the computer) but it illustrates the post nicely. And bears a rather striking resemblance to my car (it's a black KA... although not quite as shiny as this one...)

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I'm a little bit angry. I've had my car for over a year and a half and in that time it has had nothing wrong with it, bar a rather strange incident involving loads of grey fluff coming out the exhaust (that's a story for another time). A week or so ago, though, I noticed that one of my headlights was a little dimmer than the other. 'Never mind' I thought, 'I can still see where I'm going'. Then a few days ago, John helpfully/nervously pointed out that neither light was on, and I should probably get it sorted out.

So yesterday I went to the Castle Motor Company.

And there was my mistake.

I took my car in, the car mechanic fixed the headlights (which cost £50) and gave it a pre-MOT, and called me up to say it was ready. Just before I left the garage, he said 'Have you had any trouble with the clutch? Getting the car into reverse?' And I hadn't really. So he said 'It's fine, but it might start going soon...'

Then I left. Soon after, there I was on the London Road, trying to change gear. But the car wouldn't let me... it refused to go into any gear and the car was jumping about all over the place. Now, I'd just like to reiterate that I have never had any problems with my car before. So today Dad drove it back to the garage (we had to drive along the A13 in second gear, and even then it was touch and go) and the man was like 'Yep, you need a new clutch slave. It's all leaking' (at this point my dad wanted to turn to me and say 'Really? What did your last slave die of?' but fortunately restrained himself). Anyway, it turns out that it costs £350 to replace. And I couldn't take it anywhere else as... well, it wouldn'tve made the journey. I do think I've been had... but it would be very difficult to prove it!

So now I'm carless and penniless. It's a very sad situation to be in. And I'm sorry that this has been quite a boring post in comparison with recent ones, but I'm looking for sympathy.

Does anybody out there know anything about cars by the way?

11 comments:

Andy said...

"Does anybody out there know anything about cars by the way?"

Yes. I know they're expensive and unreliable, or is that just my one which has spent nine months of this year in the garage?

Katie said...

As in a mechanic's garage?

You might want to chase that up...

I think between us, we'd have a strong case for going on Watchdog ;)

Mitchenstein said...

Can I be in the reconstruction video?

Andy said...

Uh-huh, a mechanic's garage...

...and the reason for my silence, Katie, is that some of us have to keep working beyond the middle of December and don't get best part of a month off... ;)

Glyn Harries said...

Hmm. Sounds dodgy to me. Maybe you could pay him back by offering to teach his kid for a small fee. Once the transacation has been made, you could go on to psychologically scar the aforementioned child by, I don't know, showing him snuff films or something until the kid is a complete wreck. When the garage mechanic comes to pick him up (I'm assuming the child is a boy), ask him if his kid has shown any prior psychotic tendencies. When the mechanic says "not really" reply with "he's fine, but he might start going soon". When the mechanic brings his boy back after the child murdered the family cat, offer to fix the child for a sum-total of £350. Problem solved.

Aah the sweet sweet taste of revenge.

Graeme said...

Glyn, when I first started reading that I thought "What are you on??"!! But you know what, having read it all, I can kind of follow the (twisted) logic.

Katie - my advice on cars is simple - marry someone who's dad is a mechanic, say farewell to expensive repair bills. It worked for me!

Andy said...

Reminder to self:

If I ever have children never, EVER send them anywhere near any kind of educational establishment which is linked to Glyn in any way at all...

Graeme said...

He works.....in schools......in Chelmsford. Right, we're moving!

Katie said...

John- Do you want to be in the video as yourself, or as the dodgy car mechanic? Because I think you would suit both roles very well...

Andy- Three weeks is hardly the best part of a month. And working never stopped you blogging before!

Glyn- Thanks for the advice, I'll know who to thank when I end up in prison... but the thought was there :-)

Graeme- Yes, that makes sense... all these years I've been looking for the wrong qualities in a guy. What a fool.

All of you- Shouldn't you be working?!

Andy said...

By using my (admittedly very elementary) arithmetic skills, I reckon three weeks is 21 days. A month has between 28 and 31 days.

So I reckon saying 21 days is the best part of a month is fair enough.

Working has stopped me blogging as there's been so much of it.

And while we're on the subject, I should be working... that's why I'm here.

Mitchenstein said...

So Katie, you think I would be good at playing myself in the video...

That's... genius.

Katie Allen's Facebook profile