Saturday 29 December 2007

Some Thoughts Before New Year

I was browsing some of my previous posts when I came across the one celebrating my half birthday in blogging. In it, I listed three things to achieve over the next six months. It's occurred to me that none of them are real goals, and I need some purpose (a bit like the guy in Avenue Q... by the way, I will have achieved the second ambition on my list by January- for those of you who care). Anyway, here are one or two New Year's resolutions that I am hoping to stick to in 2008:

- STOP PROCRASTINATING

“Don't wait. The time will never be just right.”- Napoleon Hill

Procrastination is a serious problem with me. I will do anything to avoid what should be done, no matter how important or trivial. I'm gonna sort that out.

- Do something once a week that scares me

“Too often we are scared, scared of what we might not be able to do, scared of what people might think if we tried, we let our fears stand in the way of our hopes. Why? There's really no time to be afraid. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Everything!”- Unknown

I'm very much one for staying in my comfort zone. There's a 'Compare People' application on Facebook, where you rank your friends in certain categories. I came out as 56th Most Adventurous. Enough said.

This next quote pretty much sums up my other New Year's Resolutions:

“Do not worry; eat three square meals a day; say your prayers; keep your digestion good; exercise; go slow and easy. Maybe there are other things your special case requires to make you happy; but, my friend, these I recommend”- Abraham Lincoln

I like that one a lot. So that's pretty much it! Actually, there's one more quote that I came across which I could completely relate to, which I'll share with you now. Sometimes (just sometimes) I can be a bit of a drama queen. If something remotely out of the ordinary happens to me, I will dramatise it until it becomes a scene out of Hollyoaks. Yesterday, there was a power cut at the house I'm looking after, and I was on my own and it was pitch black and I couldn't find any candles. This quote summed me up:

“I have a huge, active imagination, and I think I'm really scared when I'm alone; because if I'm left to my own devices, I just turn into a madwoman.”- Clare Danes

Seriously, at one point I genuinely thought someone had snuck (is that a word?) into the house in the darkness and was hiding upstairs. So my final resolution is to stop making trivial things into such massive deals. Although it does make life more exciting...


Other stuff:

- The guys from Uni are coming to visit me today... I haven't seen them for a while and am very excited about it. I set myself a goal of catching up with as many old friends as possible this holiday, and so far I'm doing pretty well. Here is a photo of us from the summer (to balance out the scary candle man photo):


- We lost the traditional Boxing Day Chelmsford Vs. Hadleigh football match 1-0. But that's ok, because everybody knows we should have won. Again, it was really nice to catch up with people!

- The sleep paralysis has come back. I hadn't had an 'episode' since I posted about it on my blog, but today I couldn't wake up. I can't decide if I'm being a drama queen here or whether it's justified, so I'll leave it at that.

6 comments:

RikiWright said...

Why you would want to scare yourself is beyond me!

You really should look into that sleep thing cause it sounds serious

Have a good time with your mates

and nice blogage - this may have inspired a news years resolution blog of my own

Mitchenstein said...

NO 'SNUCK' ISN'T A WORD!!

Argh... We Brits say 'SNEAKED'!

Gotten, snuck.. What's next? 'Dove' instead of 'dived'??

I ask you...

Katie said...

I think the use of capitals there was unfair... I did acknowledge that 'snuck' looked wrong, after all!

You're mean.

Graeme said...

If it's any consolation Katie, I have no idea how Hadleigh lost the footy either. How we didn't concede in the second half I'll never know (apart from a sterling performance from the left back that is!)Anyway, have just about recovered - the bruise on my knee has almost faded, and my calf muscle feels vaguely human again!

Happy new year, hope you had a good one.

Anna said...

Hi Katie
Im back home now (Well, have been since 3 pm...) We got everything for tomorrow but when I was thinking about txting you about watching a amovie I kind of collapsed very unsexily in primark and stacey had to run around like a chicken to get me a plastic bag (just in case). She then decided to take me home although I said I was fine, so I thought I better stay in tonight and make it work tomorrow. Deal? x

Katie said...

Oh no! That sounds like a good idea... take it easy so hopefully you'll be able to come tomorrow, otherwise you'll have bought an eighties outfit for nothing! Lol I hope you're ok, being ill is rubbish. Get well soon (you're the third person I've said that to today, I think there's a curse on my murder mystery guests...) xx

Katie Allen's Facebook profile