Tuesday 12 August 2008

Top of the mornin' to ya!

It HAS been a while, hasn't it? I haven't been really been at home for the last couple of weeks, hence the lack of blogging. But don't worry, all that is about to change. However, because I've done a few different things (and would like to blog about them all) I shall blog in bitesize chunks. Starting from the most recent event... DUBLIN.

Yes, John and I recently visited Dublin. When we go abroad the places tend to be rather random (Kaunas, Riga and Bratislava to name a few) but for once I got to choose. So Dublin it was! And we had a great time. After a lie-in (we left at 5.30am instead of 3am) we went to the airport and managed to get to Ireland without any real hassle (apart from nearly missing our flight waiting on a bacon sandwich and scrambled eggs... luckily John has the superhuman ability to inhale his food). And the whole visit was kinda like that- no hassle, no rushing around, no transport issues. Naturally, much of the time was spent doing things we could have done in London- for example Wagamama's and shopping in HMV and H&M- but it was nice to do it in a different place. Dublin is a really good city for walking (and man, did we walk...) as everything is fairly close together. I was a little disappointed that there didn't seem to be many actual Irish people around, but it was fun trying to copy the accents of all the American/Geordie/Scottish tourists there too. Here are a few of the places we visited:
Ok, so I can't actually remember what this is, but it reminded John and I of two completely different historical buildings from other countries we've visited. 'Seen one, seen them all' springs to mind...

The grandest post office in the world EVER. A significant part of Irish heritage. Go look it up on Wikipedia.


A rather cute Salvation Army corps building. There are only one or two left in the whole of Ireland, apparently...

Dublin Castle. A little oddly designed, but quite cool all the same.

Not really sure what this is either, but an American guy offered to take our photo here as we walked past. I think it's part of the castle...

We were extremely lucky with the weather too. It was fine the whole time we were there, but as we left the view from the plane window looked a little bleak:

Lovely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. Really enjoyed it

Only 2 Army Hall's in the southern Ireland - the north has still got plenty thankyou very much!

And I'll still comment on your blog even when I get rid of mine

Mitchenstein said...

I go to the effort of showing you places of cultural interest and you don't even remember them the day after!

But a good write-up nonetheless ;)

And if there was a competition for cutest Salvation Army hall (and I really think there should be), I reckon ol' Dublin City would be in with a good chance...

Anonymous said...

Oh I don't know Hadleigh Temple Hall is kinda cute...well it will be after the builders leave...and we fix the roof....and sort the cottage....ok so maybe not "cute" cute but it certainly has a charm about it

Ed said...

Hello,

You don't know me ... I'm a mate of Andy Hill's (We have the same birthday, and I once nicked a girlfriend from him ..) and found your blog through his ..

Anyway, my parents used to run the SA in Dublin in the late 90's and soldiered at that little hall. Never been in there myself, but everytime I goto Dublin (which is 4 or 5 times a year) I have to report back on the hall to them ...

I'll let them know someone else likes the hall!

Have fun,
Ed

Katie Allen's Facebook profile